Bill represents his clients in the litigation of many types of complex business and commercial disputes including contract and construction litigation and insurance coverage litigation. He also assists and counsels clients in resolving corporate and shareholder disputes, negotiating executive compensation and severance packages, as well as agreed settlements of employment disputes—including disputes over non-compete or non-solicitation agreements. In his litigation practice, Bill draws on widespread transactional experience in business acquisitions and sales, corporate contracts, and financing. Bill has been with the Firm for over thirty-five years, following graduation from Law School and a one-year term as law clerk to then Chief Justice E. Harold Hallows, of the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Recent Major Case Experience
- Represented Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America, Inc. in the recently concluded lawsuit in Milwaukee County Circuit Court relating to the construction of the radial retractable roof of Miller Park (the home of the Milwaukee Brewers). The case, filed by the Southeast Wisconsin Professional Baseball Park District, sought $50 million in damages from Mitsubishi for alleged defects in the retractable roof, which Mitsubishi constructed. Mitsubishi denied liability and filed a counterclaim seeking additional costs incurred in constructing the roof due to material changes made to the roof’s design by the Baseball Park District’s architect-of-record after Mitsubishi bid the job. In late 2004, following three years of contentious litigation, the parties attempted mediation. After three days of mediation involving 22 attorneys from seven states, a settlement was reached in January 2005, resulting in Mitsubishi paying nothing on the Baseball Park District’s claims and receiving $18 million on its counterclaim.
- Also represented Mitsubishi, post-verdict and on appeal, in connection with the insurance issues presented in the ironworker death cases likewise brought in Milwaukee County Circuit Court arising out of the construction of Miller Park. These consolidated cases (which gave rise to a trial court verdict of $99M in December 2000) and the multiple consolidated appeals that were pending before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals—raising both trial error and insurance issues—were all recently settled and the appeals dismissed effective as of February 2006. Mitsubishi itself paid nothing, and the trial court rulings in favor of Mitsubishi on all issues of insurance coverage remained in force for Mitsubishi’s benefit.
Bar Association Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Author, Comment, “Bailor, Lessor and Licensor Strict Liability”, Vol. 75, No. 1, Marquette Law Review, 1973
- Adjunct Instructor, “Appellate Law and Practice,” Marquette University Law School, Spring Semester, 1976
- Commentator, ALI-ABA Video Law Review, “Liquor Liability Litigation,” nationally telecast from Washington D.C. with local feed to Marquette University Law School, January 16, 1986
- Presenter and Panelist, Corporate Litigation Issues–“Ex Parte Witness Contacts” and “Enforceability of Compulsory Arbitration Clauses in non-Broker/Dealer Contracts,” December 13, 1996 (sponsored by Corporate Practice Institute and State Bar of Wisconsin)
- Presenter and Panelist, “Covenants Not to Compete in Wisconsin,” September 14, 2000 and September 6, 2001 (Lorman Education Services)
- Presenter, O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C. In-House Accredited Continuing Legal Education Programs, 2006–
- Presenter and Panelist, O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C. Ethics CLE Seminar “Hot Topics for In-House Counsel,” December 2010–2011
- Adjunct Professor, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, “Litigation Ethics,” 2009–
- Named one of “Milwaukee’s Leading Lawyers” in Construction by M Magazine, July 2012 issue. Only 2-5% of the top ranked attorneys published by Avvo for each category were recognized
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™–AV, reflecting an attorney who has reached the height of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (2010–2020) in Corporate Law, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Selected for inclusion in 2005 Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine