Leading the Way
Jim is the firm’s Chairman and a member of the Business Law Group. Jim’s business law practice is diverse. He is experienced in successfully guiding clients through a wide variety of matters from forming and financing business entities to negotiating and documenting complex business transactions. He frequently represents buyers and sellers of businesses. Jim also has extensive experience working with clients on corporate governance matters.
Examples of Jim’s Recent Client Work
- Represented the purchaser in its acquisition of a leading manufacturer of highly technical plastic injection molded components.
- Represented a manufacturer of products for the worldwide foodservice industry in its acquisition of a well-known line of foodservice products.
- Represented a leading provider of peripherals for AC and DC drives in a private equity-backed management buyout.
- Regularly represents a Wisconsin-based private equity group in its merger and acquisition activities.
- Represented a manufacturer of heat transfer products with multi-state manufacturing facilities in a private equity-backed management buyout.
- Represented the owners of a company which provides goods to health care facilities in their sale to a private equity-backed management buyout.
- Represented a management group in its acquisition of a controlling interest in a large wholesale beverage distribution business.
- Represents the board of directors of a mutual insurance company in corporate governance related matters.
- Represented the management group of a large, regional electronic component distribution business in their purchase of the business from a publicly owned buyer.
- Represented the controlling shareholders of a family-owned, multi-state manufacturing and distribution business in resolution of a dispute with a minority shareholder.
- Served as lead attorney representing a multi-national corporation in negotiating and preparing agreements relating to a $400 million project.
- Lead attorney for a telecommunications company in connection with obtaining more than $100 million in venture capital financing.
- Recipient of the 2019 P.E. MacAllister Distinguished Alumnus Award, presented by Carroll University
- Named one of “Milwaukee’s Leading Lawyers” in 2013, 2014, and 2015–Business, M Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers in 2005–2018 Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in 2010–2020–Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law
- Recipient of an AV Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0 rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Update on the Applicability of Sarbanes-Oxley to Private Companies”–Lauber CFOs Roundtable Conference
- “Strategies to Minimize Legal Risk”–Select Circle of Contracting Excellence Customer Business Conference
- “Current Status of the Law Regarding Non-Compete and Confidentiality Agreements”–Lauber CFOs Roundtable Conference
- “The Due Diligence Process in Business Acquisitions”–WICPA
- “What Every Business Owner Should Know About Anti-Trust Laws & Restraints of Trade”–Select Circle of Contracting Excellence Customer Business Conference
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, Carroll University
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Wisconsin
- Ordained Elder, Crossroads Presbyterian Church
- Former Board member, Friends of Art of the Milwaukee Art Museum
- Former Board member, Milwaukee Repertory Theater