Articles

A discussion of long-term care planning will inevitably include a discussion of one or more of the following: Countable Assets: Assets which are available to a Medicaid applicant and not exempt. A person’s eligibility for Medicaid depends upon the amount of his or her countable assets. A single person can only have $2,000 in countable […]

Please be advised that Wisconsin’s Concealed Carry Law goes into effect on November 1, 2011. In just a few days, your employees and visitors, provided they receive a license, will be able to carry concealed weapons into your businesses and in your company vehicles unless you properly elect otherwise according to the new laws. As […]

The NLRB has delayed the deadline for employers to post a new controversial notice to their employees informing them of their rights, including the right to organize, under the National Labor Relations Act (“NLRA”). Previously, the deadline for posting this notice was November 15, 2011, but amidst employer confusion, the National Labor Relations Board (“NLRB”) […]

On July 8, 2011, Governor Walker signed 2011 Senate Bill 93 into law as 2011 Wisconsin Act 35. More commonly referred to as the “Concealed Carry Law,” this new law will be codified as Wisconsin Statute § 175.60. While the Concealed Carry Law will not be effective until November 1, 2011, Wisconsin businesses should understand […]

The Pension Protection Act (PPA), passed by Congress in 2006, requires most tax exempt organizations to file an annual information return or notice with the IRS. Failure to file the required return or notice for three consecutive years results in automatic revocation of the organization’s tax-exempt status. The IRS has provided a list of organizations […]

The general rule in a federal individual bankruptcy is that IRAs and other qualified retirement assets are protected and such assets are not subject to the claims of the individual’s creditors. However, in the case of Ernest W. Willis v. Deborah Menotte, Red Reef, Inc. the US Court of Appeals

Attorney Timothy Caprez has recently been reappointed to serve a fourth consecutive term as Co-Chair of the Milwaukee Bar Association (“MBA”) Health Law Section. Under his direction, the MBA Health Law Section has presented numerous seminars focused on educating attorneys, executives and medical professionals on continuing developments and emergent issues within the complex legal landscape […]

It has been estimated that over 90% of all business information today is created electronically. Use of social networking websites, such as Facebook, on-line photography accounts like Flicker, e-mail passwords and word processing files, is increasingly more common. Various media commentators have addressed the need for individuals to consider their electronic data and on-line postings […]

The Internal Revenue Service has created a safe-harbor election under Revenue Procedure 2011-29 to allow taxpayers to allocate seventy percent (70%) of the success-based fees paid in business acquisitions or reorganization as a deduction against current ordinary income. If the election is made, the remaining thirty percent (30%) must be capitalized. This election can be […]

In Chilton v. Moser, a Texas Federal District Court overturned a Bankruptcy Court and ruled that an inherited IRA owned by a debtor is an exempt asset and protected under the Bankruptcy Code. This is an important decision. As more and more wealth is accumulated in 401(k)’s and rolled over into IRA’s, these IRA’s are […]

Archives