Facing Challenges, Finding Solutions
Joe is a shareholder and former federal law clerk who concentrates his practice in commercial litigation. He manages a variety of complex cases involving software class actions, real estate, products liability, banking, and intellectual property matters. He has extensive experience representing both large and small plaintiffs and defendants in challenging civil litigation. He has been selected as a member of the Wisconsin Super Lawyers for four years in a row.
Prior to joining O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C., Joe was an associate at the law firm of Freeborn & Peters, LLP, in Chicago, Illinois where he worked on patent prosecution, appellate litigation, and products liability matters. He was a law clerk in the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois to the Honorable Joe Billy McDade, and a law clerk in the Southern District of Illinois to the Honorable Donald G. Wilkerson.
Representative Case Experience
- Wright Development Group, LLC v. Walsh, 238 Ill. 2d 620 (2010) – In case of first impression, successfully convinced Illinois Supreme Court to apply the Illinois Anti-SLAPP Act.
- Koss Corp. v. Park Bank, Milwaukee County, Case No. 10-CV-21290 (2010) – Litigation related to the 10th largest embezzlement in U.S. history (ongoing).
- In re DOC Milwaukee, LP, Milwaukee County, Case No. 09-CV-9785 (2009) – Successfully resolved litigation related to the fourteen-story Staybridge Building in downtown Milwaukee.
- Germania Real Estate Venture II LLC v. Stir LLC, Milwaukee County, Case No.Case No. 15-cv-5338 (2015) – Led litigation successfully preventing injunctions which allowed restoration of an eight-story Milwaukee landmark to proceed.
- Robatech Midwest, Inc. v. Leuthner, 2015 WL 1219642 (E.D. Wis. 2015) – Led litigation under Wisconsin Fair Dealer Law preventing termination of Wisconsin manufacturing equipment franchise.
- Barkley Ventures, Inc. v. Canine Investments, Inc., AAA Arb. 51-114-E-01215-13 (2014) – Led successful arbitration against a national franchisor resulting in full award of damages and attorneys’ fees against franchisor for violation of the Wisconsin Fair Dealer Law.
- GMAC, LLC v. Gustman Chevrolet-Olds-Cadillac, Inc., E.D. Wis. Case No. 09-CV-293 (2009) – Successfully prevented closure of Wisconsin dealership sought by GMAC.
- PTR, Inc. v. Forsythe Racing, Inc., N.D. Ill, Case No. 08-CV-05517 (2008) – Successfully defended litigation by well-known race car driver against racing team resulting in favorable settlement.
- Selected for inclusion in 2013–2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers, Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
- Washington University, Milton F. Napier Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Selected for inclusion in 2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
Professional Associations and Affiliations
Member, Eastern District Bar Association
Member, Ride MKE
- Member, Lake Park Friends
- Speaker, O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing, 2014 Hot Topics for Small Firm and Solo Practitioners seminar, panel discussion “The Drafting of Business Documents: Perspectives from Transactional and Litigation Attorneys”